Town Forest

Page history last edited by PBworks 16 years, 4 months ago
Click for map in a new browser, and click again for a larger map
Town Forest (69 acres)
Access: East Street; neighborhood trails.
Parking: East Street by the Town Forest sign.
Formerly the George Nickles Farm, the town bought the land in 1852 for use as the Town Farm, to house and care for the town's poor. In 1923, the town voted to use part of the land to establish the Town Forest, and for a number of years the wood from the land was sold to payoff town debts. While not classified as conservation land, the Conservation Commission assumed management responsibility for the parcel in 1994.
The trail from the road slopes down to a wetland, and then continues into the central portion of the tract, which contains a network of trails that loop through the forest. One extension of the trail loops through a red pine forest, while another leads to a small bridge over a seasonal brook.
The adjoining 8-acre Heidke conservation land, primarily wetland, was given for conservation purposes in 1978.

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.